Sunday, March 21, 2010

Bread, cheese, and vegetables

Finding good bread here is like the search for the Holy Grail, most of what you can find has a dull crust and a gummy crumb, or the few times I could find something that resembles the bread I grew up with in Italy, it is ridiculously expensive. Baking bread is not that difficult (I am starting to suspect that the reason why I can't find decent bread around here is because people here do like soggy crust and gummy crumb), so I often make it. It is time consuming though, so I was very intrigued by Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking and I decided to borrow it from the local library.

Yesterday I made first boule following their recipe:

Boule

The real test will be when I use the stored dough later in the week, but this has crackling crust and a soft crumb. Of course, the true test for bread is with some good olive oil, so that is what I had for breakfast: it was delicious!

Boule

Of course it made me wish for tomatoes, but even if it 19C outside, it is still March, so no tomatoes. Cheese? I used to make cheese, why don't I do it anymore? I honestly do not know, because it is fun and easy, I still have the citric acid and the cheese salt (they last forever), all I have to do is to order the rennet (and while I was on CheeseMaking.com, the kit to make mascarpone.)

And while we are on the subject of food, following Gudrun's recommendation,  I have subscribed to Two Small Farms CSA and Frog Hollow Farm CSA. Last night was my first Two Small Farm pick up and I have two plan for all those veggies (no plan needed for the fruit, we will just eat it.)

Sunday: Veal Scaloppine with caramelized turnip

Monday: Turnip, Carrot, and Split Pea Soup

Tuesday: Chicken cutlets with braised cabbage

Wednesday: Leek and patato soup

Thursday: leftovers

Friday: fish with Roasted Potatoes with Fennel and Onion

Saturday: Butternut Squash Ravioli.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say?