Friday, March 26, 2010

Best laid plans

It has been one of those weeks, best summarized by Paperino yesterday morning when he asked me, "Mommy, is the Annual Giving Campaign over yet? I need clean socks!"

Yes, it is over. And yes, he has clean socks now.

But all my cooking plans were sorely forgotten (the only thing I made was the Turnip, Carrot, and Split Pea Soup), but the bread. Because it does take 5 minutes a day (and in this household the ranking seems to be: education, bread, clean laundry.)

So, the dough keeps raising in the refrigerator, see the little marks because I wrapped the bowl with a kitchen towel(it says, cover it but not air tight, more about that later):

Stored Dough

Since I was supposed to stored covered, but not airtight, the dough go really dry on the outside, and so the baguettes looked kind of weird:

Baguettes

But they were delicious anyway. To avoid the drying out problem I decided to store the dough in closed container, leaving a corner not completely sealed. Much better. Next, the batard:

Batard

And then what was supposed to be a ciabatta bit looks like a ceriola (the five minutes do not include reading and understanding the instruction time):

Ceriola

Tomorrow I am going to try a no-knead recipe from a friend of mine before going back to the Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking for another week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say?