Saturday, February 06, 2010

World Nutella Day, February 5th

Yesterday was the World Nutella Day and to celebrate Paperino and I made some crostatine con nutella (I do think that the best way to eat Nutella is straight from the jar, but that wouldn't been so celebratory.) I would post picture of them but I was not fast enough with the camera, they are gone.
Once we made the crostatine (crostata is pie in Italian and the shell is made of shortbread) I was left with the egg whites from the shortbread, so I made Torta Nera (black cake), recipe from my grandmother:

Torta Nera
300 gr of sugar
250 gr of flour
100 gr of unsweetened cocoa
1 cup of milk (you can substitute orange juice, my brother's variation)
1 tablespoon of baking power
2 egg whites whipped until firm

Mix everything together, egg whites last and very gently, and bake for at least 30 minutes at 350 F.

I was asked for the Plum Cake recipe, here it is (it has nothing to do with plums.)

Plum Cake
300 gr of flour
300 gr of sugar
200gr of butter
5 eggs
50gr of raisins (sometime I skip these)
100 gr of candied fruit in very small pieces
1 tablespoon of baking power
1 expresso cup of cognac (I use whatever I have, lately Cointreau)

Soften the butter and whip it with the sugar. Add all the other ingredient and pour it in two loaf pans 5x9". Bake at 350F for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say?